Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Mug Daal with ButterMilk

Many children like yogurt and buttermilk. I always make this Daal for my girl, as she likes buttermilk and all its variations. When I found out, she likes Kadhi....I used a variation of Mug Daal Recipe to make it taste it KAdhi. That way she gets the protein and the calcium.

Mug Daal with ButterMilk
Mug Daal 1/2 Cup
ButterMilk (home made or diluted from yogurt) - 5 cups
Garlic - 2
Oil - 2 tsp
Jeera - 1/4 tsp
Hing - couple pinches
kadipatta - 5-6 leaves
Salt - 1.5 tsp
Red Chilli Powder ( as needed)
Cilantro for garnish

Procedure:
Cook Mung Daal with a couple pinches of turmeric until properly cooked (3-4 whistles in cooker). MAsh Daal.
Put Daal in a vessel, add buttermilk, crushed garlic (I leave big crushed pieces so the flavor in in Daal butI can remove the pieces), salt and let it come to a boil.
Season this with oil, jeera, hing, kadipatta.
You can add red chilli powder in the seasoning depending on spice tolerance.

Garnish wih Cilantro for a little color variation.

Please let me know what you think of this recipe.
Thanks,
Radhika

2 comments:

GKJ said...

to make variation to this menu, can use cooked tuwar dal with curd and give phodani,tastes awsome as well.

Radhika said...

Thats true...I should add that one as well..