Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Cabbage Dhal

I usually have cabbage stocked in my fridge. It lasts long, and each time I buy one, cannot finish it all at once. Having a lot of friends from the states south to mine (Maharashtra), I increasingly find my cooking influenced by their cooking techniques and even recipes. I love that many recipes in Marathi food / cuisine is very similar to Andhra food....so I have most of the ingredients handy, and I can find easy twists to my usual recipes :)

Try this Cabbage Dhal, it is a quick way to incorporate Vegetable and Dhal in one recipe....serve hot with Rice / Roti....

Recipe:

1/2 cup toor daal
1/2 cup masoor daal
3 cups finely chopped cabbage
hing - 2 pinches
kadipatta leaves 10
1/8 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp urad daal
2-3 pinches turmeric
2 tsp oil
1tsp salt
1 tsp sambar masala

Pressure cook both daals together until fully cooked. Mash and keep aside.
Heat oil, add mustard seeds, whenthey crackle, add urad daal. When the Urad Daal browns, add hing, kadipatta. Wash chopped cabbage and put it in seasoning. Cook with a lid, until cabbage is fully cooked. When cabbage is fully cooked, add turmeric, sambar masala, stir. Add salt. Then add mashed daal and let this come to a boil. The daal should not be very liquidy...

Serve hot with Rice / Rotis...For kids, top with some ghee.... Enjoy!

No comments: